Reggae History
Reggae
Different Types of Reggae Music we know today for example bashment came from dancehall. It evolved into mental ( it mainly used to be acoustics with guitars and shakers etc.). Reggae goes all the way back to slavery when the slaves used to sing about their everyday life during slavery. They only used shakers and acoustics instrument because it was the only one they could afford. -Jamaican Folk
-Mental
- Rock Steady
- Scar Music
- Lovers Rock
- Reggae ( Slow and Steady)
- British Scar Music( Fast and Upbeat)
- Reggae Artist Came Out
- Bob Marley
- Peter Tosh
- Burning Spear
- Steel Pulse
Jamaicans carry around massive speakers around the town on their track for people to hear.
Then came Dancehall.
Dancehall Artist
Elephant Man
Sean Paul
Beenie Man
Bashment After Dancehall
Vybz Kartel
Popcaan
Mavado
Alkaline
History of Reggae Music and How It Begin?
Slavery and Its impact on Reggae:
Slavery had a massive impact on reggae music and how it began with. During slavery the slaves would use their voice and instruments they had to express their pain and what happen everyday in their life at the times. To begin with jamaican slavery began with the middle passage or the transatlantic journey. The british had brought African slaves over to jamaican in the 16th century the jamaican slaves would be sold to sugarcane plantations. In many reggae songs that we hear from different reggae artists they talk about the impact slavery had on the music genre and their voices was the only freedom they had. When the jamaican slaves were shipped from africa they were stuffed on boats with hardly any head space to sleep and with broken spirits. The jamaicans were taken by the British but the british conquered jamaica from the spanish in 1655. But Jamaican was discovered by spain in 1494. The slaves were worked hard by the british for the sugarcane plantation. Sugarcanes were not the only things the slaves collected they were also forced to collect bananas night and day.( There is a popular reggae slavery song the slaves used sing about this.) While this was going when on break the jamaican slaves would use the acoustics instruments they had to sing about their pain and lack of freedom and soon their music was the only way they could express themselves.
Reggae music was formed on pain and freedom. Since then reggae has evolved into different types of meanings towards in it. For example religion also has fell in the category for reggae sound.
How Religion fell into the Reggae Genre
Reggae music was not only voice for jamaican but was also a social change. After the end of slavery things were not going to great as the jamaicans thought it would. From then to today jamaicans has experienced many riots, revolutions because of the state of resistance. All these stuff have created the jamaican religion that we all know as Rastafarianism and it came with a powerful message with it which is Reggae Music. Rastafarianism is religion based on social change and the used reggae music to spread their beliefs. They used reggae as a new movement to change the system that was in place. The message that the rastafarians spread around worldwide were spread by reggae artists.
Lyrics From Some Reggae Songs From Different Artists
Old pirates yes they rob I
Sold I to the merchant ships
Minutes after they took I from the bottomless pit
But my hand was made strong
By the hand of the almighty
We forward in this generation triumphantly
All I ever had is songs of freedom
Won’t you help to sing these songs of freedom
Cause all I ever had redemption songs, redemption songs(The Words of Bob Marley)
I’m not gonna give it up
I’m not goin’
I’m not gonna give it up
I’m not goin’
I will be fighting
I’ve got to be fighting
I will be fighting
Till Africa and Africans are free(Peter Tosh Lyrics)
Mama Africa
How are you doing Mama, Mama Africa
Long time me no see you Mama
They took me away from you Mama
Long before I was born
They took me away from you Mama
Long before I came on in(Peter Tosh Lyrics)
Comments
Post a Comment